The Friends of Brecon Cathedral was established in 1930 by Bishop Edward Latham Bevan ‘to bring together in a common fellowship of loyalty and devotion, all those who care for the ancient Cathedral Church of Brecon and desire to take some part in suitably maintaining its Fabric and Services.’
The first friend was Miss Gwenllian Morgan (1852-1939), the first woman Mayor of Brecon, a staunch supporter of the Church and author of its 1903 guide book. By 1990, there were 700 members. In 2019 the Friends agreed a written constitution, giving them the power to organize fund raising events for the charity.
Over the last thirty years, the Friends income has totalled £402,000, which has been put to good use helping to maintain the fabric and services.
The Friends also arrange social events such as visits to Cathedrals, including Hereford, Worcester, Wells, St David’s, Bath, Bristol and even Durham.