Volunteers wanted for Tir Dewi farming charity
Tir Dewi, a charity operating across Powys which offers support for farmers who are experiencing difficulties, is looking for volunteers.
The charity was formed in St Davids Diocese in response to a growing and serious need for someone to help the farmers of West Wales in difficult times but has now been extended.
Tir Dewi said: "You don’t need any special skills, but ideally you will have a background in farming and an understanding and empathy towards farmers facing difficulties.
"Applicants should have good listening skills, be patient, friendly and non-judgmental. Car drivers are an asset but not essential."
Tasks will include:
- Providing a listening ear to farmers and support them to understand and unravel their problems
- Working with farmers and potentially other partners to identify solutions that may help them to cope
- Answering its freephone helpline and support service
- Raising the profile of Tir Dewi through presence at events where farmers are likely to be eg livestock markets, shows, YFC, unions
- Raising the profile of Tir Dewi through social media
All volunteers will be required to complete a membership application form, supply two references and have a DBS check.
Tir Dewi will offer ongoing relevant training.and will:
- Arrange a placement with ongoing support
- Reimburse travel expenses
- Keep in touch through newsletters, meetings and social events